Friday, November 23, 2018

Post-Thanksgiving turkey jook

This is the recipe I've always wanted to make, and it's as good as I dreamed!

I took the turkey carcass after Thanksgiving, used it to make a stock, and used the stock to make rice porridge, and it was great!

Here's the approximate recipe:

Stock:
Browned the turkey bones in 1-2 Tbsp oil cooking on med-high for about 5 min.
Put bones + the turkey carcass (cut in half) with some meat still on it in the slow cooker along with 6 coins of ginger (about 1.5" worth).
Let cook on high for 3-4 hours.

Jook:
After straining the stock, I brought ~3 Qrts stock to a boil, then added ~1.5C raw rice and lowered to a low simmer.  Simmered for about 1.5 hours until the rice had broken down.

Serving;
I like mine with scallions and white pepper.

Can also be served with:  julienned ginger, peanuts, cilantro, sliced reconstituted shiitake mushroom, sliced boc choy, or whatever else.  To bulk it up, we sometimes add some actual turkey meat or tofu cubes.


Making the stock

Stock is done!


Finished jook


Bronwing the bones


Ginger.  I think I could have added more....I love ginger


No comments:

Post a Comment