Sunday, December 1, 2019

Essential Apple Crisp

ESSENTIAL APPLE CRISP This and pumpkin pie are my go-to winter desserts. I also like the pear-apple deep dish pie filling with this topping or pie crust on the top only. The one time I made it with both crusts I thought the double crust made it seem not sweet enough. INGREDIENTS:* Topping 3/4 cup flour (I use light whole wheat) 3/4 cup old fashioned oats 1/2 cup packed brown sugar (I don"t use organic for this because it packs differently) 3/4 tsp cinnamon 3/4 tsp nutmeg 1/2 c cold butter, cut in pieces Toasted nuts if desired. Filling 6 cups sliced, peeled apples, about six medium 2 tbsps sugar if apples are fairly sweet, up to 1/2 if tart 2 tbsps flour 1 tsp lemon juice dried cranberries or raisins, if desired. (small amounts of fresh berries, cherries that I'm trying to use up go well in this also. I tried pom seeds and thought the seed was too crunchy although the flavor was fine.) Steps: Heat oven to 375 degrees. Use a glass or ceramic baking dish, not a metal one. In a medium bowl, mix the first set of ingredients, except for butter. Mix until blended. Cut in butter pieces with pastry blender or forks until the mixture is crumbly, but not blended. I sometimes finish with my hands.) Set aside. If the kitchen is warm put it in the refrigerator so the butter does not lose all if its firmness. In a large bowl mix the filling ingredients until well coated. Spread in the dish and sprinkle topping to cover. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until topping is golden brown and juices bubbling around the edges. (I think my ceramic dish takes about 40 minutes.) *an earlier recipe has the same topping but just four sliced tart apples, plus add-ins with nothing else in the filling. It tastes good also, especially since I always add a little whipped cream or ice cream. A little whole milk is okay, also.

No comments:

Post a Comment