Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Chinese chicken and walnuts

This is our modified version of Chicken with Chestnuts.

Original recipe here:   https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/chicken-with-chestnuts-108668

I used 2 Tbsp brown sugar instead of 3 of that rock sugar.
I didn't have dark mushroom flavored soy sauce, so I just used regular dark soy sauce.
I used 1 Tbsp vegetarian mushroom-flavored oyster sauce (instead of regular oyster-flavored sauce).

My ginger ended up as 6 quarter-sized disks.

We used 3 small chicken thighs instead of bone-in chicken.  We cubed them in 1" cubes, browned them as the recipe suggested and simmered them covered for 5-8 min.  Meanwhile I toasted 1/2-3/4 C walnuts and then added them to simmer with the chicken for another 5-8 min.  We removed the cover and simmered until the sauce was sufficiently reduced.

I think the right way to do this is maybe only use 1.5 C water, and simmer uncovered the whole time so it all reduces faster.

Really good!  I'd go with even more ginger next time.  The green onion adds a nice additional flavor; not just a visual garnish.



No comments:

Post a Comment