Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Hot Fudge Pudding Cake

I made this for Anjarwallas because it was Carl's favorite dessert--he even learned to bake it himself for friends in the dorm. I was underwhelmed. It doesn't have the rich flavor i remember and their isn't enough sauce for the cake. The cake itself isn't chocolate=y enough. And I'm not sure toasted nuts added anything--a waste of a good cup of nuts. I looked around for a different recipe on the internet (mine is from my 1960s Betty Crocker cookbook, which I still have, in very beat-up condition) and some didn't include nuts at all. Others said "if desired" There are tons of small variations but nothing dramatically different. I'm  inclined to go with my Hersheys Choc Sauce, my Ghirardelli brownie mix, some ice cream, and assemble on the spot.


1 C flour
3/4 C granulated sugar
2 tbsps cocoa powder (I used Hersheys)
2 tsps baking powder
1/4 C milk
2 tbsps shortening, melted (I used butter)
1 C finely chopped nuts
1 C brown sugar, packed
1/4 C cocoa powder
1 3/4 C hot water

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Measure flour, granulated sugar, 2 tbsps cocoa, baking powder and salt into bowl. Blend in milk and shortening. Stir in nuts.  Pour into ungreased 9" square pan. Stir together brown sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa. sprinkle over batter. Pour hot water over batter.

Bake 45 minutes. while hot, cut into squares, invert each onto dessert plate and spoon sauce over each. erve with whipping cream or ice cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment