Wednesday, February 6, 2019




Slow Roasted Salmon With Lemon and Thyme


My Notes:
My usual source for salmon is Whole Foods' Everyday Low Price because a few years ago they got a certification from Monterey  Bay Aquarium for sustainable farming. I've been wanting to try the bigger fillets I've seen at CostCo after having that size served at a dinner party for 10. It is a pretty amazing last minute way to handle a big group, if it works. I've done this recipe twice now,  first time with Lundberg's wild rice pilaf mixture (from Safeway bulk foods), next time with noodles, as shown above. I have tons of fresh thyme so this is a nice recipe for that reason also! I'd give this five stars for easy prep and 4 or 5 for flavor. Obviously, you don't get a crusty effect with this.

Next time I would like to slice the fillets into serving size pieces before I roast it. I think the timing may be a little less tricky.


INGREDIENTS


2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Large boneless salmon fillet, skin on
1 heaping tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
Zest of 1 lemon
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 lemon wedges (for serving)
RECIPE PREPARATION


Preheat oven to 275°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil (or be prepared to scrub a lot). Brush with ½ Tbsp. oil. Place salmon fillet, skin side down, on prepared baking sheet. Mix remaining oil, thyme, and lemon zest in a small bowl. Spread thyme mixture over salmon.  Season with salt and pepper. Let stand 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend and final cooking to occur.  Don't forget to separate skin from fish when you serve it.

Bake salmon until just opaque in center, 15-20 minutes. This is tricky because size of fillet will differ a bit, and the goal is to not dry it out. Serve with lemon wedges.
Recipe by The Bon Appétit Test Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment