Friday, February 19, 2021

 Double Fake Tamale Pie


It's a tamale pie missing more than a few ingredients and made with fake beef. (Beyond Meat Burger) I"ve been hoping to find a decent-tasting substitute for a long time because of the need to pay attention to climate change. As I get older I also think about a diet that may help me avoid arthritis pain. Plant based foods and fish are on the list--animal based foods aren't. We both like the flavor of this fake meat in pasta dishes, Mexican Lasagne, and this dish. Impossible Meats, Beyond Meat, and a few other companies made fake meat--the environmental impact and the flavors are different.

I started with cooked brown rice in the fridge to use up.  The classic recipe uses cornmeal and corn bread. I substituted cooked corn kernels (from frozen). I thought the rice would blend in well and give the dish substance. Other ingredients were in or out for a slew of reasons. This is the recipe I ended up with and I liked the flavor a lot.

Ingredients

2 slices of onion, chopped

1 tsp minced garlic 

!/2 tsp chili seasoning (I made  my own and don't remember exactly what's in it)

1/2 tsp Cumin

~ 1 1/2 cups cold brown rice from fridge

1/2 of a 14 ounce can of fire roasted chopped tomatoes plus about 1/4 cup leftover tomato marinara

.about 1/2 cup corn kernels, cooked

~ 1 1/2 tbsps sliced olives (I used kalamata because they were on hand)

4 ounces "beef"

grated medium cheddar to sprinkle around on top. I use cow's milk cheese, which is a dietary no-no. You could use sharp cheddar and cut quantity in half. Eventually a determined person could learn to like it without. It's honestly not as critical as fresh parm on  pasta dishes. Or some alternate cheese that's not Velveeta will come on the market. But I digress..... :-)

Avocado puree to go on top (optional--it didn't add much but fresh, sliced might have. Or something else with nice color contrast. Like cherry tomatoes.

Directions

Saute onion and garlic in a little vegetable oil .  Add the seasonings and stir around about a minute. Add the "beef" and cook on higher heat as you would hamburger, crumbling it up as you cook.  Add the tomatoes, corn kernels and olives. Stir and watch until the mixture is hot and liquid from the tomatoes is cooked down a bit. Cover,. reduce heat to high simmer, and wait about 15 minutes. Taste, adjust seasonings, and when ready sprinkle cheese on top. Cover and remove from heat when cheese melts. Spoon into bowls and add avocado in small blobs on top if you use it. 






No comments:

Post a Comment