Monday, July 13, 2020

Chinese fish in wine sauce (attempt #1)

This was one of those learning experiences.  The result:

Flavor - good
Texture - not good

Also, not enough sauce for what we were trying to achieve.  I used a kind of hybrid recipe between a Martin Yan recipe in a book I have and this one:  https://hoohla.cooking/fish-in-wine-sauce

I had ~1 lb TJ frozen cod.  I dethawed, cut in half lengthwise so pieces were ~1/2" thick, and cut into roughly 1" by 2" pieces.

I marinated for 10 min with a sprinkle of salt, 1/8 tsp white pepper, 1 Tbsp corn starch and 1 whisked egg white.

Then I tried to pan fry in 2 Tbsp oil, but it stuck to the pan and everything went to hell.

SO, one option is cut the fillets larger, use a smaller non-stick pan with more oil.  A different option would be to flash deep fry them as many youtube recipes show (which is probably more restaurant style, but is a pain).

Anyway, I removed them from the pan, and then added ~ 8 ginger disks to more oil, and stir fried the 6 wood ear mushrooms cut into strips.  Then I added the sauce (see below) and the thickener and the fish, let it thicken and that was it.

For the sauce I used:
1/2 fresh made chinese-style chicken stock
2 Tbsp rice wine
1 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp sesame oil



No comments:

Post a Comment