Friday, December 8, 2017

Poor man's Paella

At least, that's what the recipe is called.  Apparently even the poor man in Spain has saffron.

I'd give this 5/5.  I'd be happy if I got this in a restaurant!

Here is the original recipe:


A few things I did differently:  

I blanched the green beans in about 1/2 C of water, then added only 4.5 C broth and the additional 1/2 C green bean water (because I think (?) that helps keep the nutrients in the dish).

Instead of chicken and pork, I used 0.6 lbs of Sprouts bulk hot Italian chicken sausage.

I put 3/4 tsp salt in at the same time as the broth.

I used 3/4 red bell pepper and 1/2 green bell pepper.  Also some beech mushrooms at the end.

Important note:  The recipe says to keep simmering until the liquid is absorbed and you smell a faint nutty fragrance.  I was worried my liquid wasn't absorbing so I turned it up to medium for 5 min.  There was still liquid, but I also smelled the nutty fragrance.  I took it off.  I'd say the bottom was starting to burn (though still tasted great).  In the future, I'll follow the recipe more strictly.

With just carrot and onion:


After adding spices, bell peppers and tomato:


After adding broth:


After adding the sausage (10 min into the simmering):


Done!  Looks a little weird with the green beans on top, but really great flavor.  Green beans aren't overcooked either because I added them in the last 5 minutes and didn't blanch them too much.

Aaand on the plates!










No comments:

Post a Comment